This group was founded in response to an initiative of the Genealogy and Local History Section of IFLA, and its primary aim is to provide a forum for LAI members working, or with an interest, in genealogy and local studies.The Genealogy and Local Studies Group can help members to:
- meet other people working in libraries and information centres with similar concerns and interests;
- promote the continuing professional development of genealogy and local studies staff;
- promote best practice in the delivery of traditional and electronic genealogy and local studies reference services;
- foster the use of genealogy and local studies collections within the broader community;
- facilitate networking among those working with genealogy and local studies collections in libraries, archives and museums serving genealogists and local studies researchers;
- promote international cooperation in the preservation, conservation, and dissemination of Irish genealogical and local studies sources.
The Genealogy and Local Studies Group welcomes contact from anyone involved or interested in genealogy and local studies. Membership of the Group is open to all members of the Library Association of Ireland. Non-LAI members may also join our mailing list.
Chair: Síle Coleman (South Dublin County Libraries)
Secretary: Inez Fletcher (National Library of Ireland)
Vice Secretary: Jeremy Black (Fingal County Libraries)
Treasurer: Monica Cullinan (University College Dublin)
Other Committee members: Mary Broderick (Oireachtas Library), Carmel Flahavan (Carlow County Libraries), Justin Furlong (National Library of Ireland), Miriam Lambe (Marino Institute of Education), Gearoid O Brien (Westmeath County Libraries), Colette O’Flaherty (National Library of Ireland), Kieran Swords (South Dublin County Libraries).
If you are interested in knowing more about this group, we invite you to contact one of the following:
- Síle Coleman, County Library, South Dublin County Council, Town Centre, Tallaght, Dublin 24. Tel. (01) 462 0073 Email: email@example.com
- Monica Cullinan, Main Library, University College Dublin, Belfield, Dublin 4. Tel. (01) 716 7100. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Colette O’Flaherty, National Library of Ireland, Kildare Street, Dublin 2. Tel. (01) 603 0230. Email: email@example.com
To join the groups email mailing list contact Inez Fletcher
Information on IFLA’s Genealogy and Local History Section can be found at www.ifla.org/VII/s37/sgen.htm